In her 1914 Rochester As of late with Glimpses of its Previous, Adeline Estes Wright describes the railroads and their affect on downtown, particularly Hanson Boulevard, which was once constructed to attach the educate station with Central Sq.. She wrote:

“The primary railroad bumped into Rochester in 1849; and this town, nowadays, is the biggest railroad middle in jap New Hampshire. Right here 4 railroads meet, connecting the town with the huge towns of Nashua, Worchester, Portland, Boston, New York, and Montreal, Canada. Because the traveler enters the station, he can however be inspired with the busy scene that greets his eye. Passing from the station up Hanson Boulevard of which almost the entire land and one of the constructions are owned by means of Charles A. C. Hanson, the primary development to draw consideration is The Rochester, some of the 3 massive inns; the opposite two are The Town, previously Mansion Space on Primary Boulevard, and The Hayes on Portland Boulevard.

“Hanson Boulevard was once paved [with cobblestones] and is stored in highest restore by means of Mr. Hanson at his personal expense. Even supposing best about 5 hundred toes in period, virtually each and every roughly industry and career is to be discovered in this boulevard; livery strong, blacksmith store, eating places, provision marketplace, florist, enterprise rooms, bakeries, barber, tailor, harness stores, {hardware}, furnishings, clothes, dry items, millinery, tune and stationery, grocery and fruit shops, pool and billiard rooms, dye space, boot and shoe blacking rooms, photographer’s studio, actual property, dentist, physician and legal professional’s workplaces, and the rooms occupied by means of the Hanson’s American Band. In this boulevard is also the good-looking 3 tale brick and granite construction, the Masonic Temple, finished in 1911. Beside it’s the publish place of business with its genial postmaster, John S. Kimball, and his six or seven assistants.”

The Rochester occupies the website of the primary Baptist church development devoted in 1874, Rev. Ezekiel True preaching the sermon. The existing church of this denomination, at the nook of Liberty and Charles streets, was once erected in 1884.

— Martha Fowler, president of the Rochester Historic Society, may also be reached at [email protected]



Supply hyperlink

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.