No person will get extra from lower than Tom Doak. The daddy of recent minimalism has six authentic designs in GOLF’s rating of the Prime 100 Programs within the U.S. The Cornell grad may also boast of 5 entries on our World checklist — a part of a résumé 30-plus years within the making. And between designs like Barnbougle Dunes and Cape Kidnappers, there could also be no architect on the planet with a better-named steady of programs.
However as Doak will attest, greatness doesn’t at all times garner the mandatory votes. Yearly, dozens, if not tons of, of programs stay hidden from the rankings. Magnificence is within the eye of the beholder, and there are a lot greater than 100 lovely golf programs in america (and lots of extra on the planet). Typically, our favourite gems are those that welcome the least reward, or have the smallest cult following.
All of our market picks are independently chosen and curated by the editorial crew. Should you purchase a linked product, GOLF.COM might earn a price. Pricing might range.
It’s this love for the unheralded that led Doak to launch his rating of the highest 10 missed gems in our Prime 100 Programs within the U.S. checklist.
Tom Doak’s 10 missed gems within the U.S.
1. Crooked Stick (Carmel, Indiana) — Pete Dye
2. Davenport Nation Membership (Davenport, Iowa) — C.H. Alison
3. Holston Hills, (Holston Hills, Tenn.) — Donald Ross
4. Northland (Duluth, Minn.) — Donald Ross
5. Pete Dye Golf Membership (Clarksburg, W.V.) — Pete Dye
6. Roaring Hole (Roaring Hole, N.C.) — Donald Ross
7. Rolling Inexperienced (Springfield, Penn.) — William Flynn
8. Sand Hole (Hurricane, Utah) — John Fought & Andy Staples
9. Tobacco Highway (Tobacco Highway, N.C.) — Mike Strantz
10. Whitinsville (Whitinsville, Mass.) — Donald Ross
*11.* Stone Eagle (Palm Desert, Calif.) — (Mine!)