Historical past has some way of repeating itself — even supposing oftentimes it is not a lot amusing to relive.
It is a thought the 2019 Miami Dolphins are undoubtedly getting familiar with, the Fish — I do know, dolphins are mammals — getting off to most likely the worst get started the NFL has ever observed in its 100 seasons. Miami is 0-Four and has been outscored 163-26, a margin that incorporates being jointly whitewashed 81-Zero after halftime. That negative-137 scoring margin already has this crew midway to the worst differential ever accumulated in a 16-game season … just one quarter of the way in which into the time table.
However earlier than we start questioning if the ’19 Dolphins will continue to exist the other excessive of the NFL spectrum from their 17-0 1972 brethren, let’s pause to imagine that the soccer gods could also be smiling on Josh Rosen and Co. Coming off its bye week, Miami will host the similarly winless Washington Redskins, who simply fired trainer Jay Gruden and most certainly want they’d a quarterback as excellent as Rosen at their disposal.
Nonetheless, the ‘Skins are appreciated by way of 3½. And with Sam Darnold coming back from mono, it does not seem the Dolphins gets two cracks on the heretofore hapless (and similarly winless) Jets.
(Did I fail to say the Cincinnati Bengals? Similarly winless at 0-5 … although as I take into accounts this “similarly winless” factor a little extra, the Jets and Dolphins are simply 0-4.)
As we obsess over this sport in South Florida that nobody merits to win, we additionally proceed celebrating the NFL’s 100th season, which USA TODAY Sports activities helped kick off by way of rating the 100 biggest groups in league historical past. Simplest turns out truthful we might additionally record the 100 worst — and each present franchise is represented except the Ravens, who’ve by no means subjected their enthusiasts to the actual depths of soccer distress of their 24-year lifestyles.
Little bit of a transformation this time as we paintings our method all the way down to the NFL’s maximum hapless group and re-familiarize you with the opposite dregs of this soccer century alongside the way in which:
100. 1920 APFA Muncie Flyers (0-1): Let’s rewind to the start, the entire as far back as the NFL’s first legitimate season (when it used to be nonetheless referred to as the American Skilled Soccer Affiliation). Muncie performed as soon as … and misplaced 45-0, victimized by way of the Rock Island Independents within the fledgling league’s 2nd sport. The Flyers controlled to time table yet one more contest that 12 months, nevertheless it used to be rained out. They returned for 2 video games in 1921 however had been close out every time and not once more seemed in soccer’s premier league.
99. 2005 Saints (3-13): They deserve resilience issues for successful thrice in spite of being displaced all of the season by way of Typhoon Katrina. New Orleans’ “house” video games passed off at New Jersey’s Giants Stadium, San Antonio’s Alamodome and Baton Rouge’s Tiger Stadium. Silver lining: Drew Brees and Sean Payton arrived a couple of months later.
98. 2007 Falcons (4-12): There were considerably extra abject groups at the box. However off of it? Within the aftermath of Michael Vick’s imprisonment for dogfighting, Atlanta attempted to get by way of with recycled first-round QBs Joey Harrington and Byron Leftwich. Then, first-year trainer Bobby Petrino bolted after 13 video games, returning to the NCAA for Arkansas’ most sensible process. Leaving a sort letter to give an explanation for his departure made already depressing gamers indignant. A laugh occasions.
97. 2002 Houston Texans (4-12): Taking into account they had been a spread franchise, it used to be in reality a rather decent season — one who kicked off with a 19-10 disillusioned of the cross-state Cowboys. However Andre Johnson would not arrive for every other 12 months. Growth draft LT Tony Boselli by no means arrived … and that used to be a in particular merciless blow to No. 1 draft pick out David Carr, who by no means recovered from the thrashing he took whilst enduring a single-season checklist 76 sacks.
96. 1969 Bears (1-13): In spite of having Dick Butkus and Gale Sayers, no squad in 100 seasons of Bears soccer had fewer wins. Nonetheless, in spite of the checklist, they had been usually aggressive maximum Sundays.
95. 2001 Panthers (1-15): Hardly unhealthy, even Carolina’s solitary one-win version — it misplaced each sport after a victorious opener — averaged a decent 11.2 issues consistent with defeat.
94. 2016 Los Angeles Rams (4-12): After concluding their two-decade hitch in St. Louis with a in point of fact depressing stretch of soccer, they sprung to a 3-1 get started below QB Case Keenum whilst kicking off their L.A. repatriation. However they misplaced 11 in their ultimate 12, trainer Jeff Fisher getting fired all through that tailspin whilst No. 1 pick out Jared Goff presented a bust-worthy first impact.
93. 1978 Baltimore Colts (5-11): Stud QB Bert Jones had begun breaking down, although he did go back to intestine out two wins overdue within the season. However there used to be no overcoming a get started through which the Colts misplaced their first two video games by way of a blended 80-0.
92. 2009 Oakland Raiders (5-11): They had been 3-Four in video games that QB JaMarcus Russell did not get started. Sadly for them, the previous No. 1 pick out used to be at the box broadly. Thankfully for them, he used to be so brutal that he performed (and ate) himself out of the NFL that 12 months.
91. 1984 Indianapolis Colts (4-12): After the franchise stole out of Baltimore in the midst of the evening, enthusiasts in Indy needed to be questioning why they stricken stealing it within the first position.
90. 1999 Saints (3-13): Trainer Mike Ditka used to be fired after the season, one who started with him buying and selling his whole draft (and extra) so as to choose Ricky Williams.
NFL: Unveiling the most efficient 100 gamers of all time
Extra: Jerry Rice makes is pick out for biggest participant in NFL historical past
89. 2016 49ers (2-14): For vastly other causes, it stays the ultimate time someone noticed Colin Kaepernick or Chip Kelly hired on an NFL sideline, Kaepernick’s protests all through the nationwide anthem — whether or not or no longer you consider him — stirring a season-long controversy.
88. 1983 Houston Oilers (2-14): Earl Campbell’s ultimate complete experience with the crew used to be squandered with QBs Gifford Nielsen, Oliver Good fortune (Andrew’s dad) and a washed-up Archie Manning below heart.
88a. 1984 Houston Oilers (3-13): Issues most effective advanced marginally a 12 months later, even with Warren Moon becoming a member of the fold.
87. 1962 Vikings (2-11-1): The second one 12 months of the franchise’s lifestyles, this stays the one Minnesota crew — in spite of the presence of Fran Tarkenton and Jim Marshall — that didn’t win 3 video games.
86. 2014 Oakland Raiders (3-13): Epic draft magnificence with Khalil Mack, Derek Carr and Gabe Jackson. However they could not save you Dennis Allen from getting fired after an 0-Four get started nor truly assist a crew whose losses got here by way of a median margin of 16.6 issues.
85. 1993 Indianapolis Colts (4-12): The excellent news is that it marked the tip of QB Jeff George’s tenure and taken Jim Harbaugh’s arrival the next 12 months.
84. 1998 Eagles (3-13): The excellent news is that it marked the tip of Ray Rhodes’ tenure and taken Andy Reid’s arrival the next 12 months.
83. 1970 Saints (2-11-1): Simply believe if Tom Dempsey hadn’t kicked his then-record 63-yard FG to overcome Detroit 19-17 that November.
82. 2006 Oakland Raiders (2-14): Disgrace Artwork Shell returned to train this crew, which parlayed its checklist into the regrettable determination to draft Russell.
81. 2005 Houston Texans (2-14): Outscored by way of a franchise-worst 171 issues, their easiest participant used to be RB Domanick Williams. Consider him? Did not suppose so.
80. 2000 San Diego Chargers (1-15): The one time the Bolts completed with a unmarried win, the restoration started straight away when LaDainian Tomlinson used to be drafted the following spring.
79. 2014 Tennessee Titans (2-14): Worst they have been when it comes to wins and level differential (minus-184) since relocating to Nashville. Former first-round QB Jake Locker, then 26, had such a lot amusing that 12 months, he determined to not play soccer anymore.
78. 2011 Buccaneers (4-12): Worst Tampa crew within the post-Creamsicle technology, their 3-1 get started used to be undone by way of a protection that surrendered probably the most issues within the league and the unraveling of presumed franchise QB Josh Freeman.
77. 2011 Indianapolis Colts (2-14): While you construct a crew round Peyton Manning, however he can not play … that is what occurs — they could not even beat the ’11 Bucs. No less than the timing of Curtis Painter and Co. used to be impeccable, their crash and burn permitting Indy to pluck Andrew Good fortune within the 2012 draft.
76. 1984 Vikings (3-13): More than likely the worst crew in Minnesota’s historical past, as none gave up extra issues (484) or had a worse differential (208). Les Steckel used to be so unhealthy in his most effective 12 months as a head trainer, Bud Grant got here out of retirement in 1985.
75. 1975 Bears (4-10): In spite of having a rookie named Walter Payton, no squad in 100 seasons of Bears soccer used to be outscored by way of extra issues (188).
74. 1992 Seahawks (2-14): Terrible Seattle groups are few and a long way between, however that is the one one who misplaced 14 occasions. It additionally scored a paltry 8.Eight issues consistent with sport, worst ever over a 16-game season. By some means, DT Cortez Kennedy controlled to win defensive participant of the 12 months honors … most certainly helped that he used to be at the box at all times.
73. 1998 Bengals (3-13): Cincinnati has observed numerous unhealthy soccer, however a crew coached by way of Bruce Coslet and quarterbacked by way of Neil O’Donnell prominent itself by way of getting outscored by way of 184 issues.
73a. 1999 Bengals (4-12): The following 12 months, Coslet and QB Jeff Blake added a win and reduce the full level differential by way of … seven issues.
73b. 2000 Bengals (4-12): In spite of everything, QB Akili Smith were given Coslet fired.
72. 1966 Broncos (4-10): Denver used to be a in point of fact horrible operation all through its preliminary years within the American Soccer League, successful 4 or fewer video games in seven of its first 8 seasons. And the losses had been nearly at all times decisive. In spite of getting 4 victories within the first season of the Tremendous Bowl technology, the Broncos averaged just about 21 issues consistent with defeat.
71. 1967 Dolphins (4-10): Miami’s 2nd 12 months used to be its worst, the Fins shedding by way of 24.6 a week all through an eight-game slide that started after a season-opening win. They had been outscored by way of 188 issues total, worst in membership historical past.
70. 1962 Oakland Raiders (1-13 ): The one time in 60 seasons they did not win a minimum of two times.
69. 2002 Bengals (2-14): Remarkably, that is the one Cincinnati crew that did not achieve the three-win plateau. Trainer Dick LeBeau used to be changed by way of Marvin Lewis in 2003.
68. 2007 Dolphins (1-15): Just about as exceptional, that is the one Miami outfit that did not achieve the three-win plateau (for now). Then the Fins handed on Matt Ryan to kick off the 2008 draft.
67. 1996 Jets (1-15): Sticking with the theme, that is the one NYJ crew that did not achieve the three-win plateau. The presence of No. 1 pick out Keyshawn Johnson did not assist a lot, and Peyton Manning’s determination to stick at Tennessee led the Jets to offload the highest pick out of the 1997 draft.
66. 2012 Jaguars (2-14): Another time — the one time Jacksonville did not achieve the three-win plateau.
66a. 2013 Jaguars (4-12): The Jags gained two times as many video games within the next season, however this used to be the one time they had been outscored by way of 200-plus issues.
65. 1968 Expenses (1-12-1): Buffalo’s most effective one-win AFL effort were given them O.J. Simpson atop the 1969 draft.
64. 2004 49ers (2-14): The trainer used to be Dennis Erickson. The quarterbacks had been Tim Rattay and Ken Dorsey. The highest abilities guys had been RB Kevan Barlow and TE Eric Johnson — sure, Jessica Simpson’s husband. You get it.
64a. 2005 49ers (4-12): And those had been the blokes who used that hard earned No. 1 pick out on Alex Smith as an alternative of Aaron Rodgers. You do not get it … and neither does someone else.
63. 1963 Broncos (2-11-1): Denver used to be 2-2 after 4 video games however did not win once more. 4 quarterbacks began.
62. 1985 Expenses (2-14): Beautiful horrid — 52 turnovers! — whilst looking ahead to Jim Kelly to go away the USFL.
61. 1984 Expenses (2-14): Beautiful horrid whilst looking ahead to Jim Kelly to go away the USFL and Bruce Smith to go away Virginia Tech.
60. 1961 Broncos (3-11): Performed and dressed poorly — you’ll be able to have in mind the gold and brown vertically striped socks — permitting 37 issues 4 occasions of their season-ending seven-game slide.
59. 2018 Arizona Cardinals (3-13): That they had Larry Fitzgerald, Patrick Peterson, Chandler Jones and David Johnson … and nonetheless in some way controlled to be the league’s worst crew.
58. 1936 Eagles (1-11): Philadelphia started the 12 months by way of choosing No. 1 within the first-ever NFL draft, deciding on Jay Berwanger, the inaugural Heisman Trophy winner. The Eagles additionally beat the Giants 10-7 within the season opener. In a different way? They misplaced the remainder of their video games and not did achieve a handle Berwanger.
57. 1980 Saints (1-15): They beat the Jets 21-20 at Shea Stadium in Week 15 for his or her first win — narrowly fending off the league’s first 0-16 marketing campaign. The worst of the Ain’ts, as no New Orleans crew used to be outscored this badly (196 issues).
56. 2010 Panthers (2-14): This used to be the Jimmy Clausen-led crew that were given John Fox fired and Cam Newton drafted.
55. 2011 St. Louis Rams (2-14): The united states won’t have correctly known how unhealthy the post-Biggest Display On Turf Rams groups truly had been. As unhealthy as this installment used to be, no longer even shut to a couple of its relations. Extra in this later …
54. 1964 Broncos (2-11-1): Scoring the fewest issues and permitting probably the most within the AFL’s 5th season will land you at the record, Denver’s 198-point differential its worst ever.
53. 1963 49ers (2-12): Ranked ultimate in each general offense and general protection and their dozen losses got here by way of a median of 17.2 issues.
52. 1975 Saints (2-12): A microcosm of the Archie Manning years, they had been sunk by way of an offense that produced the fewest issues and yards within the league … in spite of Manning’s otherworldly skill.
51. 1973 San Diego Chargers (2-11-1): To suppose, they’d Johnny Unitas and Deacon Jones (plus rookie Dan Fouts). The bottom scoring crew in membership annals, no crew in Bolts historical past had a larger hole between issues scored (188) and allowed (386).
50. 1976 Seahawks (2-12): The worst membership in Seattle historical past, even with WR Steve Largent and QB Jim Zorn, used to be additionally the 1st. However it wasn’t the ugliest enlargement membership that 12 months. Extra in this later …
49. 1972 Eagles (2-11-1): Welp. They had been excellent at receiver (Harold Jackson and Harold Carmichael), however with out someone to throw to them, Philly used to be outscored (by way of 207 issues) adore it by no means has been earlier than or since.
48. 1941 Steelers (1-9-1): They opened with seven consecutive defeats and completed with a flourish, losing their ultimate two video games by way of a blended rating of 89-14.
47. 1939 Chicago Cardinals (1-10): Quite aggressive within the season’s first part, they dropped their ultimate six video games by way of a blended rating of 175-28.
46. 1976 Jets (3-11): Trainer Lou Holtz made his gamers be told a struggle music, then fled to Arkansas with a sport left to play — without doubt planting a seed for Petrino 31 years later. No different Jets squad used to be outscored by way of this many issues (214).
46a. 1975 Jets (3-11): The former 12 months’s Jets had been most effective quite extra aggressive. In combination, those two groups chewed up and spit out 4 head coaches.
45. 1969 Steelers (1-13): “Imply Joe” Greene used to be their first-round pick out, and he loved victory in his debut. Then … not anything. However this woeful season put Pittsburgh in place to draft Terry Bradshaw No. 1 the next 12 months.
44. 1942 Lions (0-11): Hate to harp on groups enjoying when the league used to be in large part gutted of skill all through Global Warfare II. However going winless with the common loss by way of greater than 20 issues is particularly inept.
44a. 1946 Lions (1-10): With the conflict over, Detroit discovered the win column — as soon as.
43. 1948 Lions (2-10): Two years later, Detroit doubled its win general however its losses had been by way of a median of 21.Four issues. Unfavourable development.
42. 1954 Chicago Cardinals (2-10): They gained one fewer sport than their friends in Washington that 12 months, however the Playing cards’ scoring differential used to be 61 issues higher. And having Ollie Matson, Charley Trippi and Night time Teach Lane counts for one thing.
41. 1987 Falcons (3-12): Their strike scabs in reality made them extra aggressive. Atlanta’s “regulars” went 2-10 and misplaced their video games by way of a median of 22.Three issues.
40. 1944 Card-Pitt (0-10): Despite the fact that the Pittsburgh Steelers and Chicago Cardinals merged for one season all through the peak of WWII — it wasn’t a daft perception given the 1943 “Steagles” (a combined Pittsburgh and Philadelphia squad) went a decent 5-4-1 — their blended skill produced nary a win and a median margin of defeat of 22 issues.
40a. 1943 Chicago Cardinals (0-10): Did not win and had been, on moderate, two TDs worse than the opposition. Therefore the desire for Card-Pitt …
40b. 1945 Chicago Cardinals (1-9): They gained as soon as following the Card-Pitt experiment, an evident turnaround … and their first triumph since 1942.
39. 1965 Steelers (2-12): Pittsburgh’s ultimate crew earlier than the daybreak of the Tremendous Bowl technology exemplifies what a wayward franchise this used to be earlier than Lombardi Trophies had been at stake. Giving up 195 extra issues than they scored used to be a low-water mark pre-Curtain.
38. 1921 APFA Tonawanda Kardex (0-1): What a reputation, proper? Would not you like to peer the league marketplace “Tonawanda Kardex” equipment — the membership used to be additionally dubbed the Lumbermen — circa 2019? However let’s no longer digress … a lot additional. No NFL crew had a shorter stint than Tonawanda Kardex, which performed one sport. The Lumbermen, who had been primarily based in Upstate New York, had been blown out 45-Zero by way of the Rochester Jeffersons and not heard from once more.
37. 1934 Cincinnati Reds (0-8): They should have proven up with bats and gloves, losing their video games by way of a median of 29.1 issues whilst getting close out six occasions. The Reds’ ultimate sport used to be a 64-Zero loss to the Eagles that marked the tip in their NFL club.
36. 1924 Rochester Jeffersons (0-7): Winless and outscored 156-7.
35. 1923 Rochester Jeffersons (0-4): Winless and outscored 141-6 in principally part the time — their moderate defeat by way of 33.Eight issues (in comparison to a meager 21.Three the next season). Ah, the Roaring Nineteen Twenties.
34. 1990 Browns (3-13): They gave up 462 issues, greater than every other crew within the 1990s. Their losses got here by way of a median of 19 issues, one explanation why Bud Carson misplaced his process at midseason. In all probability simply psychological fatigue after shedding the AFC Championship Sport to the Broncos in 3 of the former 4 years.
33. 1970 Patriots (2-12): The ultimate 12 months they would be referred to as the “Boston Patriots” would no longer be one to bear in mind. Neatly, perhaps no longer true given Joe Kapp, Jim Nance and Co. had been doing numerous that shedding at Harvard Stadium.
32. 1986 Buccaneers (2-14): They kicked off the 12 months by way of drafting Bo Jackson, who made excellent on his risk to by no means play for a company he believed value him his baseball eligibility at Auburn. Then a tender Steve Younger proceeded to lose 12 of his 14 begins.
31. 1971 Expenses (1-13): No Buffalo crew used to be extra totally ruled (outscored by way of 210 issues), in part as a result of O.J. hadn’t hit his stride but.
30. 1958 Packers (1-10-1): In 99 NFL seasons, just one Inexperienced Bay crew has completed with one win. Yep, this one. However it used to be price it — trainer Ray McLean used to be changed by way of Vince Lombardi the following 12 months.
29. 1961 Redskins (1-12-1): A win over Dallas within the regular-season finale salvaged the season. Type of.
28. 1961 Oakland Raiders (2-12): No Oakland crew used to be ever outscored by way of extra (221 issues). They did not even resemble the Raiders, their gold and black uniforms nearer to Pittsburgh’s glance and their “house” video games at San Francisco’s Candlestick Park.
27. 2012 Chiefs (2-14): Simply the least-competitive crew this proud franchise has ever fielded. In spite of Jamaal Charles’ brilliance, the Matt Cassel technology ended with a thud … which integrated 12 losses within the ultimate 13 video games — and a four-game skid to finish the season when Okay.C. used to be thrashed 103-23 jointly.
26. 1954 Redskins (3-9): Positive, they prevailed 1 / 4 of the time. But if they did not … Washington’s margin of defeat in its 9 losses used to be 27.6 issues, together with a 62-Three rout courtesy of the Browns.
25. 1968 Falcons (2-12): Atlanta’s 3rd installment wasn’t excellent, rating ultimate within the NFL in each general offense and protection and outscored at greater than a two-to-one clip.
24. 1966 Falcons (3-11): Atlanta’s inaugural installment used to be worse, shedding its first 9 video games whilst scoring the fewest issues and permitting probably the most yards within the league … whilst getting outscored at greater than a two-to-one clip.
23. 1967 Falcons (1-12-1): However Atlanta’s 2nd installment? In reality the pits, the group struggling it is only one-win season whilst getting outscored by way of a franchise-record 247 issues … and simply at a fee exceeding a two-to-one clip. They scored the fewest issues and gave up probably the most whilst surrendering probably the most yards and gaining the fewest.
22. 1949 Packers (2-10): Curly Lambeau’s ultimate season at the sideline used to be most likely the worst in franchise historical past, Inexperienced Bay’s minus-215 level differential nonetheless the worst in its checklist e book. The Pack’s moderate margin of defeat used to be 23.6 issues, and all in their losses had a minimum of a 14-point unfold.
21. 1972 Patriots (3-11): Their 52-Zero loss to the famed ’72 Dolphins continues to be the worst in membership historical past. And New England’s damaging 254-point differential used to be the second one worst ever by way of a crew enjoying a 14-game time table. Extra in this later …
20. 1989 Cowboys (1-15): Mythical trainer Tom Landry were given sacked by way of new proprietor Jerry Jones … although opposing quarterbacks had been infrequently in such jeopardy. The adverse takeover by way of Jones and trainer Jimmy Johnson temporarily bore a dynasty, however they nearly did not live on the lone 1-15 marketing campaign The united states’s Group has ever continued.
19. 1999 Browns (2-14): Cleveland’s enlargement go back after a four-year absence did not pass smartly. It marked the one time the Browns didn’t win 3 video games … within the 20th Century anyway.
18. 1982 Baltimore Colts (0-8-1): You marvel how unhealthy it will have got had the strike no longer truncated this marketing campaign. Their first-round pick out used to be soon-to-be infamous QB Artwork Schlichter, although Mike Pagel began each sport, engineering a median deficit of 15.Four issues. Each would were changed by way of John Elway in 1983 had he no longer pressured his method out of Baltimore … proper earlier than the Colts did the similar.
17. 2003 Arizona Cardinals (4-12): They have were given a case because the worst membership in franchise historical past — which is pronouncing one thing for the reason that Playing cards are one of the crucial NFL’s two ultimate constitution participants … although admittedly those Percent-10 groups that toiled at Solar Satan Stadium all blur in combination. WR Anquan Boldin used to be a rookie big name, however he could not save you losses that averaged 20-point margins.
16. 2000 Arizona Cardinals (3-13): They have were given a case because the worst membership in franchise historical past — which is pronouncing one thing for the reason that Playing cards are one of the crucial NFL’s two ultimate constitution participants … although admittedly those Percent-10 groups that toiled at Solar Satan Stadium all blur in combination. Pat Tillman used to be nonetheless patrolling the secondary, however he could not save you the Playing cards from being outscored by way of 233 issues, worst in crew historical past.
15. 2008 St. Louis Rams (2-14): You’ll suppose a crew with Torry Holt, Steven Jackson and Marc Bulger could not be this unhealthy, however they dropped 10 in a row to finish the season and misplaced by way of a median margin of 18.2 issues. However it will get worse. Extra in this later …
14. 1966 Giants (1-12-1): The G-Males were round since 1925. That is the one time they did not achieve two wins. Their minus-238 level differential may be simply the worst in franchise historical past. New York completed ultimate within the Jap Convention, 1½ video games in the back of the growth Falcons.
13. 2000 Browns (3-13): Even with consecutive No. 1 draft choices (QB Tim Sofa and DE Courtney Brown), they controlled to be worse than the former season’s enlargement effort. Cleveland’s 258-point differential stays the worst in crew historical past, and the Browns’ 13 losses got here by way of a median of 22 issues. They had been additionally close out 4 occasions, together with a 48-Zero scrubbing from Jacksonville.
12. 1991 Indianapolis Colts (1-15): After dealing to get mercurial George atop the former 12 months’s draft, they positive were not anticipating the one 1-15 season the crew has ever had. Like they did for the 1980 Saints, the Jets stored the Colts from the ignominy of the first-ever 0-16 season … although no longer earlier than Ron Meyer used to be fired.
11. 1949 New York Bulldogs (1-10-1): Their losses passed off by way of a median of greater than 22 issues — although a 65-20 drubbing from the Cardinals took the cake. The next 12 months, they had been rechristened the New York Yanks. And after the 1951 season, they had been now not within the NFL.
10. 1990 Patriots (1-15): It wasn’t at all times hunky-dory for the New England trustworthy. No longer most effective did those Pats produce the one 1-15 checklist the membership has everr suffered, they were given outscored by way of 265 issues at the method. The 446 issues allowed had been a crew checklist, too. Worst of all, allegations that a number of gamers sexually careworn Boston Usher in reporter Lisa Olson within the locker room added an unsightly layer to a teach destroy of a marketing campaign.
9. 1950 Baltimore Colts (1-11): To not be puzzled with the acquainted Colts of Unitas, Manning and Good fortune, this separate access lasted only one 12 months within the NFL after coming over from the defunct All-The united states Soccer Convention (AAFC). However they went out in a blaze of glory, the one crew in league historical past to permit a minimum of 50 issues in 4 regular-season video games, together with a 70-27 loss to the Rams. The Colts stunk in spite of having acquainted names, together with long term Corridor of Famers Y.A. Tittle and Artwork Donovan.
8. 1952 Dallas Texans (1-11): To not be puzzled with the AFL’s Dallas Texans (who later turned into the Kansas Town Chiefs). Those Texans lasted only one 12 months within the NFL — monetary problems pressured them to go away Texas halfway throughout the season as they hopscotched to Hershey, Pennsylvania, and and Akron, Ohio — earlier than they in the end turned into established because the Baltimore Colts in 1953. Entertaining Donovan and mythical Gino Marchetti had been each at the roster (and later turned into Colts mainstays). However first, those Texans misplaced their video games by way of a median of 22.6 issues and surrendered 35.6 a week.
7. 1960 Cowboys (0-11-1): Not like the aforementioned Dallas Texans, the Cowboys ultimately made the NFL thrive within the Lone Famous person State. But not like the ones Texans, those maiden Cowboys, quarterbacked most commonly by way of Eddie LeBaron, could not win a sport.
6. 1973 Houston Oilers (1-13): If you happen to ever wish to see an overmatched trainer failed by way of eloquence, glance up the previous NFL Movies clips of Invoice Peterson. As for the X’s and O’s, Houston suffered its most effective (non-strike) one-win seasons below Peterson — in consecutive years. The ’73 crew used to be outscored by way of 248 issues and misplaced its video games by way of a median of 19.4. Deficient Dan Pastorini and Elvin Bethea … although colourful No. 1 total pick out John Matuszak most certainly deserved this.
6a. 1972 Houston Oilers (1-13): Peterson’s first Houston effort used to be most effective about two issues higher a week. Whilst going 2-26 and getting outscored by way of just about 500 issues over those two seasons, very robust argument that is the worst two-year stretch any membership in league historical past has ever weathered.
5. 2017 Browns (0-16): Going 0-16 gets you into the highest (backside?) 5 … particularly when the analytics steer you method from Carson Wentz, Deshaun Watson and any choice of different succesful gamers. However it maximum be famous that Hue Jackson’s crew most effective misplaced by way of 11 issues per week, so that they were not simply rolling over.
5a. 2016 Browns (1-15): If truth be told, their moderate margin of defeat used to be 12.7 issues. However a minimum of they contributed a victory to a crew that went an extraordinary 1-31 over two years.
4. 2009 St. Louis Rams (1-15): Those dudes once more, although that is in point of fact the nadir of soccer within the Gateway Town. It marks the one time the Rams have ever long past 1-15, and so they misplaced by way of a median of 17.Nine issues — an epic failure all through the wage cap technology. And drafting Sam Bradford the next spring simply proved every other mirage. Concept: Those Rams groups were spared their deserved denunciation on account of what took place in Detroit the former 12 months. Extra in this later …
3. 1981 Baltimore Colts (2-14): Because the 16-game time table went into impact in 1978, no crew has been outscored by way of a worse margin than their 274-point hole. They had been scorched for 533 issues — no crew has ever relinquished extra. They misplaced by way of a median of just about 20 issues per week. And you’ll’t declare accidents on Bert Jones this time — he most effective neglected one sport. Weirdly, the Colts gained their opener and regular-season finale by way of a blended 3 issues, each victories in opposition to the Patriots — who, perhaps no longer strangely, additionally went 2-14.
2. 2008 Lions (0-16): The primary crew to move 0-16, no longer all that simple if you have a famous person like Calvin Johnson to your aspect. Getting QB Matthew Stafford within the subsequent draft most effective made them two wins higher, although their margin of defeat worsened from 15.6 to 17. The grand fruits of the Matt Millen years.
1. 1976 Buccaneers (0-14): Soccer futility at its greatest. They had been outscored by way of 287 issues (20.Five consistent with sport), the widest margin in NFL historical past. QB Steve Spurrier hastened his transformation into Head Ball Trainer by way of going 0-12 with a passer ranking of 57.1. WR Morris Owens used to be the highest cross catcher (30 receptions, 390 yards). Simply not anything long term Corridor of Famer Lee Roy Selmon may just do to salvage a boat that sank on the dock. Tampa Bay used to be close out 5 occasions and cracked 20 issues most effective as soon as (and not 21 issues). Nonetheless, trainer John McKay’s gallows humor makes it amusing staring at previous “highlights” of the growth Bucs, who would additionally lose their first 12 video games of 1977, although in way more aggressive type.
Observe USA TODAY Sports activities’ Nate Davis on Twitter @ByNateDavis