CLEVELAND — The 32 issues we realized from Week 11 of the 2019 NFL season … with a little bit of added aptitude from Thursday’s Steelers-Browns melee:
1. Even if honor roll scholars have unhealthy days, they want to be punished accordingly and held to account. Only a week in the past, Browns DE Myles Garrett was once one of the vital league’s emerging younger stars and maximum compelling personalities. Then he had a (very) unhealthy day together with his now notorious game-ending meltdown, punctuated through the Professional Bowler ripping the helmet off Steelers QB Mason Rudolph and due to this fact slamming it onto his head. Within the aftermath, I favored Browns trainer Freddie Kitchens and workforce stars like QB Baker Mayfield and WR Odell Beckham denouncing Garrett’s temporary lapse of reason why. I additionally favored Garrett for dealing with the track in a quiet locker room following a win — one his teammates admitted felt like a loss following his outburst — whilst taking accountability for his movements.
1a. I might additionally credit score the NFL for administering Garrett’s punishment — no less than the rest of this season — proper at the nostril … and precisely as I might proposed following the sport. I totally be expecting him to emerge a greater guy from this incident and hope he is taking this finding out alternative to lend a hand others, possibly the ones with anger control problems (which I am not pronouncing he has). However let’s hope some excellent in the end springs from one of the vital NFL’s ugliest on-field episodes in its 100 seasons.
1b. Ultimate observe, I am positive with Rudolph heading off a suspension and thankful he wasn’t significantly harm simply six weeks after struggling a frightening concussion courtesy of successful to the jaw from Ravens S Earl Thomas. However Rudolph was once indubitably complicit within the escalation of occasions culminating with Garrett dropping his thoughts. Rudolph has at all times struck me as a excellent dude, and others have buttressed that opinion … however he may’ve been rather less Eddie Haskell about this complete factor, so let’s hope his anticipated positive aligns together with his habits, too.
2. Excellent factor the Steelers are getting a mini bye following their loss. They want time to bodily get better after RB James Conner and WRs JuJu Smith-Schuster and Diontae Johnson have been amongst the ones knocked out of the sport … and time to re-calibrate after a conservative offensive manner bore no fruit whilst scattershot Rudolph noticed his season INT general double from 4 to 8. And with C Maurkice Pouncey set to pass over the following 3 video games for his function within the game-ending melee, this workforce has numerous paintings to do to re-position itself as an AFC wild card.
3. Conversely, for 59 mins and 52 seconds Thursday evening, the Browns in reality gave the impression of they could have sufficient juice for a belated playoff push. The 21-7 rating is not indicative in their whole dominance of Pittsburgh, in particular at the defensive aspect. And with Miami, Arizona and Cincinnati (two times) nonetheless at the time table, they “coulda been a contender” … however no longer with out Garrett.
4. And if issues do not flip round in a rush for the Browns, how for much longer ahead of my pals like Nancy Armour — she loves to inform me whom the Bears will have to have drafted as an alternative of Mitchell Trubisky (and she or he’s no longer fallacious) — start asking why Cleveland did not choose Saquon Barkley and Lamar Jackson atop the 2018 draft as an alternative of Mayfield and Denzel Ward?
5. Amusing reality: Mayfield is now 4-Zero towards Rudolph going again to the Bedlam Competition when Mayfield performed for Oklahoma and Rudolph for Oklahoma State. Thursday was once the primary time a former Sooners QB and (OSU) Cowboys QB confronted off within the NFL as starters.
6. The Patriots will end above .500 for the 19th consecutive season (or yearly since QB Tom Brady become the starter in 2001).
6a. However let’s no longer fake there is not severe fear about an offense that reached the top zone as soon as Sunday and averaged 3.Four yards according to rush whilst Brady worked to cross for 216 yards on an ungodly 47 makes an attempt.
7. With Russell Wilson on bye, Ravens QB Lamar Jackson endured to burnish his MVP credentials with 86 dashing yards and 4 TD passes whilst main the league’s best scoring offense to 41 extra issues in a rout of Houston.
7a. Jackson, now on tempo to hurry for a quarterback checklist 1,261 yards, is the primary passer to run for no less than 60 in seven immediately video games. Jackson’s 1,483 profession dashing yards also are probably the most for any quarterback in his first two seasons.
7b. Context: Peyton Manning had 667 dashing yards in 18 seasons.
7c. Context: Brady has 1,005 profession dashing yards and is averaging 2.Four inches according to strive this yr.
8. In the meantime, Deshaun Watson’s MVP candidacy was once shattered by the hands (talons?) of Jackson and the Ravens. The Texans additionally fell right into a first-place tie with Indianapolis within the AFC South and are actually just a recreation up on idle Tennessee. An important stretch forward with the following 3 video games in Houston, beginning Thursday evening with a seek advice from from the Colts for sole ownership of first position.
8a. Watson’s workforce misplaced through 34 in Baltimore. The Texans had by no means misplaced through greater than 8 in his first 31 NFL begins.
9. Ravens Ok Justin Tucker additionally noticed his MVP case move through the forums — we child, we child — however he unquestionably wasn’t glad to pass over his first area target of the season.
10. Cowboys QB Dak Prescott has racked up 841 yards passing and 6 TDs over the last two weeks with little lend a hand from Dallas’ run recreation. The case that he will have to reset the quarterback wage scale continues to select up steam.
11. DL Michael Bennett has 3 sacks in 3 video games since becoming a member of the Cowboys. It appears he is discovered the correct house … even if he may well be searching for every other as soon as loose company starts in March.
12. Scott Van Pelt siren: The 49ers’ game-ending defensive TD towards the Cardinals is unquestionably going to make “Dangerous Beats” given the NFL now not mandates further issues after time expires when they do not impact the result. San Francisco was once liked through 10½ in numerous puts and gained 36-26 … and not using a PAT take a look at following D.J. Reed’s 4-yard fumble go back.
12a. However most likely some fear for the Niners, who slightly retained the NFC’s No. 1 seed this week after giving up no less than 25 issues for the 3rd consecutive recreation. San Francisco’s run recreation (simply 34 yards Sunday) could also be hitting the skids.
13. The Expenses will very most probably achieve the AFC playoffs as restricted as they’re. However do not blame a protection that continues to accomplish at an elite stage. It racked up seven sacks Sunday in Miami and hasn’t authorised 400 general yards in its remaining 22 video games, the longest streak within the league.
14. No ghosts in Washington, the place Jets QB Sam Darnold spooked the Redskins to the music of a career-best 4 TD passes.
14a. Jets S Jamal Adams additionally scared the ‘Skins to the music of a career-high 3 sacks, making him handiest the second one defensive again since 1982 with 5 sacks in a two-game span. Certain turns out just like the Jets will have to no longer business him anytime quickly.
14b. The Jets have scored 68 general issues of their remaining two video games (34 apiece towards the Giants and Washington) after scratching out simply 96 of their first 8 contests.
15. However no less than the ‘Skins in any case snapped their franchise-record string of quarters and not using a TD at 16, rookie QB Dwayne Haskins connecting for a couple of fourth-quarter ratings, together with a 45-yarder to RB Derrius Guice. The native enthusiasts desperately hope the ones are indicators of excellent issues to come back.
16. Denver’s soul-crushing loss at Minnesota after development a 20-Zero lead at halftime may additionally function a springboard for a Vikings workforce which may be probably the most underrated Tremendous Bowl contender these days.
16a. Of the remaining 100 groups to path through no less than 20 issues on the part, one — the Vikes on Sunday — got here again to win.
17. Minnesota RB Dalvin Cook dinner surpassed 1,000 yards dashing for the primary time in his profession. The remaining Vikings again no longer named Adrian Peterson to take action? Chester Taylor in 2006.
18. The Jaguars have one dashing TD this season. One.
19. The Saints — they all, to incorporate Drew Brees (Three TD passes), Alvin Kamara (122 general yards), the protection (Four INTs) — rebounded effectively from their Week 10 flop towards Atlanta. New Orleans is the most efficient workforce within the NFC for my cash.
20. And congrats to Saints WR Michael Thomas, the primary particular person in league historical past to catch 90 balls (94 in reality) in simply 10 video games. He is additionally the primary guy to ever surpass 90 receptions in each and every of his first 4 seasons and stays on tempo to grow to be the primary with 150 in one marketing campaign.
21. Talking of the Falcons, they are now 2-Zero towards NFC South foes and 1-7 towards everybody else. Their remaining two video games have come towards department foes, and so will their subsequent 3. Do not pull their plug but.
22. Jameis Winston has already tied a profession excessive (reached a profession low?) together with his four-interception day boosting his 2019 general to 18. Possibly the Bucs will have to signal Colin Kaepernick.
23. After all, Kaepernick would most certainly insist the the house video games be performed in Orlando … and would wish his representatives to broadcast the sport … and he’d most certainly quite throw to Bruce Ellington and Brice Butler than Mike Evans and Chris Godwin. However no matter.
24. Or possibly the Panthers want to name Kaepernick and reunite him with Eric Reid, who resurrected his profession in Carolina. After going and not using a pick out in his first 4 begins this season, QB Kyle Allen has 9 INTs in his previous 4 (3 of them losses). After all, if Allen continues to lose his grip, rookie Will Grier would unquestionably get a shot ahead of Kaep.
25. The Bengals are 0-10 for the second one time in franchise historical past.
26. The Bengals have been the primary workforce to formally be eradicated from playoff rivalry.
27. The Bengals, in fact, lead us at once to ideas of the 2020 draft, and this is hoping Tua Tagovailoa makes a rapid restoration whether or not or no longer he makes a decision to move professional subsequent yr.
28. The Raiders started Sunday because the AFC’s ultimate playoff workforce and ended it out of doors the sphere in spite of beating Cincinnati. Alternatively Oakland will think first position within the AFC West if Kansas Town loses to the Chargers in Mexico Town on Monday evening.
29. Shoutout to Raiders rookie DE Maxx Crosby, who notched 4 sacks Sunday, the primary Oakland participant to take action since Khalil Mack in 2015.
30. Great to peer Adam Vinatieri have a very simple day on the workplace given how uncommon they have been in 2019. Whilst turning into the primary Colt to attain 1,500 profession issues, he additionally broke the checklist for many field-goal makes an attempt in NFL historical past (710).
31. Tragic that all-pro Colts G Quenton Nelson’s first NFL raise did not end result within the goal-line TD he believed he’d scored. However most commonly immaterial … as a result of we nonetheless were given to peer his improbable keg stand end-zone birthday celebration.
32. Dearest mom — I am in a fretful state since getting phrase of stories from the entrance that unit self-discipline could also be cracking. 3 code violations plainly and phrase that Corporal Nelson is imbibing mass amounts of ale as the lads have a good time newly earned terrain. Such shameful shenanigans in my self-imposed exile. — Andrew
Apply USA TODAY Sports activities’ Nate Davis on Twitter @ByNateDavis
For those who love speaking soccer, we’ve got the easiest spot for you. Sign up for our Fb Crew, The Ruling Off the Box, to interact in pleasant debate and dialog with fellow soccer enthusiasts and our NFL insiders.