FRISCO, Texas – Tank this.
So with seven video games nonetheless to play, beginning to hear the cries for the Cowboys to tank video games for the sake of a better first-round draft alternative in 2021.
Why on the planet at this level?
Look, with the Cowboys of their bye this week, there nonetheless are seven video games remaining. Now, who is aware of what’s going to occur going ahead, however a minimum of what we have seen prior to now two losses of this now four-game dropping streak – the longest for the reason that four-game one to finish the 4-12 nearly Romo-less 2015 season – has been encouraging.
Come on, as foolish because it sounds, they don’t seem to be out of this NFC East race, a minimum of not mathematically. Actually, mathematically, this nonetheless may very well be a 2020 playoff season regardless of the unfathomable quantity of accidents the Cowboys have suffered and nonetheless are struggling. Simply due to the unstable NFC East.
Yep, the Eagles are in first place at 3-4-1. That is an entire one win and a tie higher than the Cowboys’ 2-7 at this level. And the Eagles are enjoying on the Giants (2-7) this Sunday because the Cowboys chill watching. As for the Washingtons, they’re 2-6, enjoying at Detroit (3-5).
Somebody has to lose these video games, proper?
And let me remind you that the primary time round, the Eagles beat the Giants by all of 1 level, 22-21, and wanted to attain two touchdowns within the ultimate 4:38 to take action, with the profitable TD a nice Carson Wentz dime dropped on operating again Boston Scott with 40 seconds to play.
Take into consideration that. What if in that recreation, or this one, if the Giants, at residence, can beat the Eagles, enhancing to 3-7 and dropping the Eagles to 3-5-1. The one factor the Cowboys must be excited about is profitable that third recreation.
Additionally, contemplate this: Baltimore on the evening of Dec. 3 is the lone staff remaining on the Cowboys schedule with a profitable document (6-2). Plus, the Cowboys have one other shot at their three NFC East bedfellows: Washington on Thanksgiving Day after which Philly and the Giants within the ultimate two video games of the season.
And let me drop this one nugget on you, too. The Cowboys are one in all 15 groups – 15 now – with not more than three wins going into this Week 10 of video games. Seven of these groups have three wins; six with not more than two wins; after which there are the Jaguars with one and the Jets with none. Do not get seduced with this speak that if the draft was at the moment the Cowboys would have the third decide. It is not at the moment.
Oh, and now there’s additional incentive to maintain enjoying for retains. The NFL homeowners have permitted a contingency plan shifting ahead to account for potential video games misplaced to COVD-19 inflicting an unequal quantity of video games performed by upping the playoff system from 14 to 16 groups.
Who of their proper thoughts would even consider tanking now?
- QB Prize: So the concept inciting all this dropping can be a shot at quarterbacks Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields or, and do not fall asleep on this man, although you is perhaps sleeping Saturday nights when BYU is enjoying, Zach Wilson. Simply bear in mind, quarterbacks drafted within the first spherical are by no means positive issues. Discounting this 12 months’s first-rounders, between 2016 and 2019 there have been 14 quarterbacks chosen within the first spherical. The jury nonetheless is out on eight of them: Dwayne Haskins, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Mitch Trubisky, Jared Goff, Patrick Lynch and Goff, plus rely me on the fence with Daniel Jones. Additionally did this, appeared on the 10 quarterbacks drafted within the first rounds between 2012-2015. 5 of them aren’t even with their drafting staff: Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel and Teddy Bridgewater. Cautious what you would like for.
- Large Incentive: Assuming Andy Dalton clears concussion protocol by subsequent week and in addition is eligible to be faraway from reserve/COVID-19, the Cowboys have voiced dedication to the veteran returning in a beginning position over Garrett Gilbert, the brand new QB taste of the month. And you may be darn positive Dalton does not wish to hear something about tanking. Keep in mind, whereas he is been assured $3 million on his one-year contract, he has one other $3 million based mostly on incentives. The primary one? Why, if he takes 50 p.c of the regular-season snaps and the Cowboys qualify for the playoffs, that is price 1 million smackeroos. Additionally there’s this: If he takes 35 p.c of the regular-season snaps and 50 p.c of the playoff snaps, and the Cowboys win a first-round recreation, that is price one other $500,000. With Dak Prescott now out for the season, these incentives are nonetheless in play with seven video games to go.
- Fortuitous Bye: First, the Cowboys wanted it. Proper now. Second, provides Dalton an additional week to clear concussion and COVID-19 protocol. Third, with the Steelers’ Vance McDonald testing constructive for COVID-19 on Monday, the Cowboys had been pressured to vacate The Star for the following a number of days, having to cancel the Wednesday observe throughout the bye week with the gamers required to then obtain 4 consecutive days off, Thursday-Sunday. Had they’d a recreation, they could have solely been allowed one observe or probably have been inclined to pushing the sport again to Monday. And third, for positive now if they’d a recreation since on Wednesday defensive lineman Tyrone Crawford has been positioned on reserve/COVID-19, additional intensifying COVID-19 restrictions for the staff.
- Blood Boiling: So went again a second time to look at the unlawful contact name on Jaylon Smith with 8:36 left within the fourth quarter and the Cowboys nonetheless main 19-15. Christmas sakes, the Pittsburgh receiver runs proper into him, loses his steadiness and the flag comes flying in from a minimum of 25 yards behind the play whereas Crawford is recording a sack-fumble on Ben Roethlisberger that Aldon Smith recovers and returns to the Pittsburgh 21. Would have been an enormous flip of occasions. As a substitute, the 5-yard penalty moved the ball to the Cowboys’ 48, Pittsburgh ending the possession with a 43-yard subject purpose. And even that additional because of the bogus pointless roughness penalty on Leighton Vander Esch that if you happen to return and see the man hanging onto LVE’s facemask, darn it, it was obligatory.
- Pictures Gone Bye: on that Cedrick Wilson cross-field cross to C.J. Goodwin on the punt that Goodwin first started retreating again downfield, appearing as if he pulled a hamstring? Effectively, particular groups coach John Fassel factors out that for the reason that punt went thus far, Goodwin needed to begin sprinting to catch as much as the place Wilson caught the ball … Guess the Cowboys weren’t fascinated by defensive finish Takk McKinley, launched by Atlanta after the Falcons brass bought fed up along with his fixed social media posts about eager to be traded. In order that they lower him within the ultimate 12 months of his contract, and he was claimed by Cincinnati (2-5-1), that means the 2-7 Cowboys, increased on the claiming listing, did not put one in on him.
Final phrase as soon as once more goes to Cowboys proprietor Jerry Jones when requested if it will be loopy to assume the Cowboys would use a excessive first-round draft alternative on a quarterback in 2021, saying” Sure! Sure, it will be loopy.”