| Springfield Information-Chief
The worst week of the highschool soccer season is right here.
The 2020 highschool soccer postseason in Missouri begins Friday and it’ll function a loopy quantity of blowouts throughout the state.
Everybody makes the postseason in Missouri, so you are going to see a few of the finest groups within the state tackle the groups on the backside of their respective districts.
Extra: Right here have been the highest Springfield space highschool soccer gamers of the 2020 common season
Listed here are a few of the numbers from final yr’s opening spherical of district play:
- Groups with the upper seeds have been 138-22 (two video games have been forfeits)
- There have been 27 shutouts out of 158 video games performed (17.1 p.c)
- No 1 vs. 8 video games completed nearer than 24 factors
Report by matchup (common rating)
- 1 vs. 8: 36-0 (52.2-8.3)
- 2 vs. 7: 35-1 (45-10)
- 3 vs. 6: 30-6 (34.6-15.8)
- 4 vs. 5: 27-13 (29.3-20.4)
- 1 vs. 4: 4-0 (61.8-10)
- 2 vs. 3: 6-2 (36.3-21.8)
Sadly, there may not be a greater postseason system this yr due to the way in which COVID-19 has impacted the season. Everybody ought to have an opportunity to play within the postseason this yr, however that should not change how video games shake out an excessive amount of.
Whereas there will not be too many good video games across the space, listed below are those that is perhaps value attending:
No. 6 Seneca @ No. 3 Aurora
The Houn’ Dawgs (6-3) are in want of a bounceback recreation after falling to Nevada (6-3) 39-20 through the ultimate week of the common season.
Earlier than that, Aurora was howling as one of many hotter groups within the space. It received its earlier 4 video games — which included a one-point win over Buffalo (7-2).
Whereas Seneca (2-6) has been down this season, it is nonetheless able to placing up a superb battle. Its finest win came visiting none aside from the identical Nevada group that simply beat Aurora.
The winner of this recreation may very well be in fine condition heading into the district semifinals as a struggling Mount Vernon (4-5) squad awaits. The Mountaineers misplaced their ultimate 5 video games of the common season.
No. 5 Branson @ No. 4 Republic
Dying, taxes and Branson (3-6) taking part in at Republic (3-6) through the opening week of the districts.
That is the third yr in a row that the 2 groups will play one another in Republic to start district play. This would be the rubber match between the 2 as they each cut up the final two video games.
Branson received a thriller in 2019 whereas coming away with a 33-27 victory in additional time. Like final yr, the 2 groups will play for the chance to play *gulp* Carthage (8-0) within the district semifinals.
This would be the second week in a row Branson and Republic will play one another. Final week’s recreation ended with the Tigers profitable 34-28.
No. 6 Strafford @ No. 3 Honest Grove
Probably the greatest rivalries in southwest Missouri will happen within the postseason this Friday night time.
Honest Grove (6-3) will look to drag off a season sweep over Strafford (3-6) after assembly on Oct. 2.
The Eagles pulled away for a 36-20 victory throughout a recreation wherein they’d over 300 yards speeding with 136 coming from Kody Stacye and 115 from Zeke Schaffitzel.
Extra: ‘We do not like Strafford’: How trash speak impressed Honest Grove in its rivalry win over the Indians
Honest Grove has been actually excessive scoring as of late, with a 69-19 win over Intelligent and 51-25 win over El Dorado Springs in its final two video games.
This may not be the perfect matchup on paper, nevertheless it’s an emotional one for the 2 packages and Strafford goes to need its revenge.
Space district schedule
Class 1, District 1
- No. 8 Crystal Metropolis @ No. 1 Thayer
- No. 5 Caruthersville @ No. 4 Portageville
- No. 7 Chaffee @ No. 2 St. Vincent
- No. 3 Malden @ No. 3 Hayti
Class 1, District 3
- No. 1 Skyline vs. BYE
- No. 5 Cole Camp @ No. 4 Lincoln
- No. 7 Nice Hope @ No. 2 Windsor
- No. 6 Russellville @ No. 3 Tipton
Class 1, District 4
- No. 1 Marionville vs. BYE
- No. 5 Ash Grove @ No. 4 Pierce Metropolis
- No. 7 Miller @ No. 2 Lockwood
- No. 6 Diamond @ No. 3 Cabool
Class 2, District 3
- No. 1 Springfield Catholic vs. BYE
- No. 5 Houston @ No. 4 Mountain View-Liberty
- No. 7 Willow Springs @ No. 2 Forsyth
- No. 6 Strafford @ No. 3 Honest Grove
Class 2, District 4
- No. 1 Lamar vs. BYE
- No. 5 Intelligent @ No. 4 El Dorado Springs
- No. 2 Sarcoxie vs. BYE
- No. 6 Stockton @ No. 3 East Newton
Class 3, District 5
- No. 1 Buffalo vs. BYE
- No. 5 Eldon @ No. 4 Osage
- No. 2 Ava vs. BYE
- No. 6 Clinton @ No. 3 Mountain Grove
Class 3, District 6
- No. 1 Cassville vs. BYE
- No. 4 Reeds Spring vs. BYE
- No. 2 Mount Vernon vs. BYE
- No. 6 Seneca @ No. 3 Aurora
Class 4, District 5
- No. 1 West Plains vs. BYE
- No. 5 Marshfield @ No. 4 McDonald County
- No. 7 Monett @ No. 2 Carl Junction
- No. 6 Hillcrest @ No. 3 Logan-Rogersville
Class 4, District 6
- No. 1 Helias Catholic vs. BYE
- No. 5 Harrisonville @ No. 4 Nevada
- No. 2 Bolivar vs. BYE
- No. 6 Marshall @ No. 3 Warrensburg
Class 5, District 5
- No. 1 Lebanon vs. BYE
- No. 5 Central (Springfield) vs. No. 4 Willard
- No. 2 Glendale vs. No. 3 Waynesville (Nov. 6)
Class 5, District 6
- No. 1 Carthage vs. BYE
- No. 5 Branson @ No. 4 Republic
- No. 2 Webb Metropolis vs. BYE
- No. 6 Neosho @ No. 3 Ozark
Class 6, District 3
- No. 8 Lee’s Summit @ No. 1 Raymore-Peculiar
- No. 5 Joplin vs. BYE
- No. 2 Nixa vs. BYE
- No. 6 Kickapoo @ No. 3 Lee’s Summit West
Wyatt D. Wheeler is a reporter and columnist with the Springfield Information-Chief. You possibly can contact him at 417-371-6987, by e mail at email@example.com or Twitter at @WyattWheeler_NL. He is additionally the co-host of Sports activities Speak on Jock Radio weekdays from 4-6 p.m.