10/17/2020 12:00:00 AM
WKU HILLTOPPERS (1-3, 1-1) at UAB BLAZERS (3-1, 1-0)
Saturday, October 17 | 12:30 p.m. CT | Legion Subject | Birmingham, Ala.
NOTING THE GAME – WKU at UAB
- This would be the eighth all-time assembly between the Hilltoppers and Blazers. The groups confronted off four-consecutive seasons from 1993-97, with WKU successful the primary three matchups earlier than UAB took the fourth recreation.
- The applications didn’t face off from 1998-2013, earlier than a head-to-head matchup in 2014 when the Hilltoppers joined Convention USA. WKU misplaced a three-point choice, 42-39, that yr in Birmingham, however defeated the Blazers by a rating of 20-13 final season in Bowling Inexperienced.
- Within the 2019 matchup, UAB out-gained WKU by a 298-to-222 margin, however the Hilltoppers intercepted quarterback Tyler Johnston III 4 occasions en path to victory. Standing at 1-2 earlier than that recreation, the win catapulted WKU to an 8-2 end to the marketing campaign.
NUMBERS TO WATCH
- 266 — From Bowling Inexperienced to Birmingham is a 266-mile drive South on I-65. This would be the closing bus journey for the Hilltoppers this season, with three flights to away video games.
- 2,156 — Days since UAB has misplaced a house recreation, which was a 23-18 choice to Marshall on Nov. 22, 2014. The Blazers have gained 20 consecutive residence video games at Legion Subject.
- 343 — The Hilltoppers’ 25-man senior class brings 343 profession begins of expertise going into Sport 5 of the yr. Security Devon Key leads WKU with 41 profession begins on The Hill.
HILLTOPPER COACHES WITH BLAZER TIES
- Tyson Helton spent the 2007-12 seasons at UAB, the primary 5 because the quarterbacks coach, after which 2012 teaching the working backs and serving because the recruiting coordinator. Below Helton’s steering, quarterback Joe Webb developed into probably the most prolific quarterbacks in NCAA historical past. In 2009, when he completed sixth nationally in complete offense and ninth in passing effectivity, Webb turned the primary participant in NCAA historical past to go for two,000 yards and rush for 1,000 yards in consecutive seasons. The 2009 and 2010 Blazer offenses produced the 2 highest complete offense yardage totals in UAB historical past, each topping 5,000 yards. Then in 2012, working again Darrin Reaves was voted First Staff All-CUSA, as he ran for 1,037 yards and a school-record 13 scores.
- Bryan Ellis got here to UAB as a freshman quarterback in 2007, ultimately incomes 9 begins for the Blazers in 2010. Ellis Accomplished 231-of-411 passes (56%) for two,940 yards and 25 touchdowns in 11 complete video games and was named Honorable Point out All-CUSA. On the time, his 418-yard passing efficiency vs. East Carolina was fifth-highest single-game efficiency in program historical past; additionally had 5 landing passes towards the Pirates, the second-most in program historical past. Ellis’ 25 landing passes in the course of the season have been only one shy of this system document (26) held by Darrell Hackney (2004). Ellis graduated in 2011 after which transitioned to a graduate assistant teaching position working with the quarterbacks for the 2012-13 seasons.
- Zach Lankford was a good finish for the Blazers from 2005-09, ending his collegiate profession with 22 receptions for 245 yards and two touchdowns. In 2008, Lankford recorded career-highs of 16 catches for 190 yards and each of these scores. Lankford returned to Birmingham in 2013 and served because the Blazers’ Affiliate Director of Recruiting and Participant Improvement for one yr.
HILLTOPPER PENALTIES AT A MINIMUM
In 2019, WKU was solely known as for 53 penalties all season lengthy which ranked third in FBS, and that pattern has continued into 2020. To this point this season, the Hilltoppers have dedicated solely 11 penalties for 97 yards in 4 video games, which ranks third in FBS. Final week vs. Marshall, WKU dedicated zero penalties for the primary time since a minimum of 2007. It was the primary time an FBS workforce didn’t commit a penalty to date in 2020. There have been solely eight such situations in 2019.
GAME 4 vs. MARSHALL GAME NOTES
- WKU’s workforce captain for the sport was graduate senior quarterback Tyrrell Pigrome.
- Marshall gained the coin toss, selected to obtain and scored a landing on a two-play, 75-yard drive to open the sport. The away workforce has gained all 4 coin tosses to date this season.
- There was an attendance of 4,428 in Houchens-Smith Stadium for the 6:36 p.m. CT kick off. The sport lasted 2:57, which was WKU’s shortest of the season. In 2019, the Hilltoppers performed 3-of-14 video games in beneath 3:00.
- WKU misplaced to Marshall for the fourth-straight time and fell to 4-8 all-time towards the Thundering Herd, together with 2-3 in Bowling Inexperienced. The Hilltoppers dropped to 7-5-1 all-time in video games performed on Oct. 10.
- WKU fell to 55-31-3 all-time in homecoming video games.
- WKU dedicated zero penalties, the primary time the workforce has carried out so since a minimum of 2007. It was the primary time an FBS workforce didn’t commit a penalty to date in 2020. There have been solely eight such situations in 2019.
- WKU turned the ball over thrice, which led to 21 factors off turnovers for Marshall. The -21 factors off turnovers margin was the worst for the Hilltoppers since Nov. 24, 2017 at FIU.
- WKU fell to 8-4 whereas sporting crimson jersey tops and white pants, courting again to 2013. The Hilltoppers are 2-3 of their previous 5 video games in that uniform mixture.
- Kevaris Thomas got here into the sport within the third quarter and accomplished 9-of-18 makes an attempt for 148 go yards, with 1 landing and 0 interceptions. The landing – a 26-yarder to Dalvin Smith with 0:06 remaining within the recreation – was his first collegiate passing rating.
- He carried 7 occasions for 30 yards and one landing, together with WKU’s game-long 13-yard rush within the fourth quarter. He accomplished a 51-yard go to Xavier Lane within the third quarter, the longest play by the Hilltoppers this season. Scored a two-yard landing rush two performs later, the second speeding rating of his WKU profession.
- Dayton Wade led WKU with a career-high 8 receptions, whereas additionally including 58 yards to rank second on the workforce.
- Xavier Lane had a team-high 74 yards on 4 receptions, together with a career-long 51-yarder within the third quarter.
GAME 3 at MIDDLE TENNESSEE GAME NOTES
- WKU’s workforce captain for the sport was redshirt senior defensive deal with Jeremy Darvin.
- WKU gained the coin toss and deferred to the second half. The Hilltoppers have gained 2-of-3 coin tosses this season.
- There was an attendance of 6,500 in Johnny “Purple” Floyd Stadium for the 4:05 p.m. CT kick off. The sport lasted 3:03, which matched WKU’s first recreation of the season at Louisville.
- WKU improved to 34-35-1 all-time towards Center Tennessee, together with 14-20-1 in Murfreesboro. The Hilltoppers additionally improved to 8-5-1 all-time in video games performed on Oct. 3 – together with 4 straight wins.
- With 37 mixed factors, it was the lowest-scoring recreation within the head-to-head collection since a 21-10 win by Center Tennessee in 2008.
- With a three-point margin of victory, eight of the previous 10 head-to-head matchups have been determined by 5 factors or fewer.
- Center Tennessee fell to 54-25-2 all-time in homecoming video games.
- WKU gained the time of possession battle 31:35-to-28:25 over Center Tennessee. It was the primary time this season the Hilltoppers had a bonus in time of possession.
- WKU allowed solely 319 complete yards to Center Tennessee, the bottom complete for the protection this season.
- WKU gained 326 yards of offense – together with 138 rush yards and 188 go yards – all three are the very best totals for the Hilltoppers this season.
- WKU improved to 9-3 when following a bye week courting again to 2012. The Hilltoppers have held their opponent to 17 factors or fewer in seven of the final eight such video games – all wins.
- WKU improved to 5-5 whereas sporting white jersey tops and black pants, courting again to 2013. The Hilltoppers are 4-1 in such video games over the previous two seasons.
- Xavier Lane led WKU with 7 catches, 73 yards and 1 landing, together with a career-long catch of 26 yards within the second quarter. The 7 receptions have been a career-high, and the landing was his first profession rating at WKU.
- Brayden Narveson went 2-for-2 in discipline aim makes an attempt, hitting from 47 and 53 yards. The 53-yarder is the third-longest in WKU’s 102-season program historical past, and is tied for the fifth-longest discipline aim make in FBS this season.
GAME 2 vs. LIBERTY GAME NOTES
- WKU’s workforce captain for the sport was redshirt senior punter John Haggerty.
- Liberty gained the coin toss and deferred to the second half. The Hilltoppers had gained three consecutive coin tosses courting again to final season.
- There was an attendance of 4,276 in Houchens-Smith Stadium for the 11:02 a.m. CT kick off. The sport lasted 3:14, which was above WKU’s first recreation time of three:03 at Louisville.
- WKU fell to 0-3 all-time towards Liberty, together with 0-2 in Bowling Inexperienced. The Hilltoppers additionally fell to 6-7 all-time in video games performed on Sept. 19.
- WKU was out-scored 10-0 within the first quarter, whereas out-scoring Liberty 24-20 within the different three quarters mixed.
- Liberty gained the time of possession battle 34:59-to-25:01 over WKU, every week after Louisville gained the time of possession battle 32:33-to-27:27 over the Hilltoppers. Final season, WKU averaged a 32-to-28 time of possession benefit in 13 video games.
- Liberty rushed for 354 yards, marking solely the sixth time WKU has given up over 350 rush yards within the workforce’s FBS Period (since 2009). Most not too long ago the Hilltoppers allowed 368 rush yards in a 42-28 loss vs. Florida Atlantic on Oct. 28, 2017.
- WKU dedicated solely 2 penalties for 19 yards, in comparison with Liberty’s 8 for 89 yards. By way of two video games, the Hilltoppers have solely dedicated 6 penalties for 42 yards. Final season, WKU ranked eleventh in FBS with solely 39.5 penalty yards per recreation on 4.1 infractions.
- WKU’s loss to Liberty was solely the workforce’s fifth to a non-conference, non-Energy 5 workforce courting again to 2012. The Hilltoppers are 19-5 in such video games over the previous eight-plus seasons, however 5-4 since 2017.
- WKU fell to 7-4 whereas sporting crimson jersey tops and crimson pants, courting again to 2013. Since 2016, the Hilltoppers are 2-3 in such video games.
- Devon Key led WKU with a career-high 15 tackles (7 solo, 8 assisted) for his Eighth-career double-digit deal with recreation. He pressured a fumble of Liberty QB Malik Willis within the second quarter that was not recovered by WKU, his first collegiate pressured fumble.
- Dionté Ruffin led WKU with 3 go breakups, which tied a career-high from final season in a 20-13 win vs. UAB on Sept. 28.
GAME 1 at LOUISVILLE NOTES
- WKU’s workforce captain for the sport was redshirt senior security Devon Key.
- WKU gained the coin toss and deferred to the second half. The Hilltoppers have gained three consecutive coin tosses courting again to final season.
- There was an attendance of 11,179 in Cardinal Stadium for the 8:05 p.m. ET kick off. The sport lasted 3:03, which was barely beneath WKU’s common recreation time of three:08 final season.
- Within the 102nd season of WKU Soccer, the Hilltoppers fell to 60-36-6 all-time in season-opening video games. WKU additionally fell to 1-4 all-time in video games performed on Sept. 12.
- WKU fell to 12-22 all-time towards Louisville, together with 12 consecutive matchups courting again to the Hilltoppers’ final win within the collection in 1975. That complete features a 4-19 document on video games performed in Louisville.
- WKU was out-scored 21-0 within the second quarter, whereas out-scoring Louisville 21-14 within the different three quarters mixed. It was an analogous story in final season’s matchup between the 2 groups, as WKU was out-scored 24-7 within the second quarter, whereas tying Louisville 14-14 within the different three quarters mixed.
- WKU allowed solely 7 factors within the second half, persevering with the workforce’s pattern from final season. Over the ultimate 12 video games of 2019, the Hilltoppers allowed a median of solely 6.9 factors within the second half.
- Louisville transformed 9-of-16 (56%) of third downs towards WKU. Final season, the Hilltopper protection ranked seventh in FBS by permitting a third-down conversion charge of solely 30%.
- Louisville gained the time of possession battle 32:33-to-27:27 over WKU, which included a 18:55-to-11:05 benefit within the first half.
- WKU recorded 10 tackles for loss as a workforce, which was greater than the Hilltoppers had in any recreation final season. In all, 9 completely different WKU defenders had a minimum of 0.5 tackles for loss.
- WKU fell to 4-5 whereas sporting white jersey tops and black pants, courting again to 2013. The Hilltoppers had gained three consecutive video games within the mixture on the tail finish of the 2019 season.
- Omari Alexander had a Swiss Military Knife-type efficiency, with a fumble restoration on a muffed punt, a blocked punt, an interception, a deal with for loss and 5 complete tackles (3 solo, 2 assisted).
The 2020 WKU Soccer season is offered by Stewart Richey Service Group. Stewart Richey is a multi-disciplined development and repair agency offering contracting, upkeep, and restore providers throughout residential, business, industrial, civil and institutional markets. Stewart Richey Service Group has supplied over 45 years of service!