Substitute Roberto Firmino scored together with his first contact as Liverpool got here from behind to beat struggling Burnley and keep in contact with leaders Manchester Metropolis within the Premier League desk.
Jack Cork gave the hosts a shock lead after Alisson couldn’t collect the ball following a nook however Jurgen Klopp’s aspect hit again with three targets.
James Milner equalised with an excellent low end from the sting of the field and Firmino, considered one of seven gamers disregarded from the aspect that began towards Everton on Sunday, tapped house Virgil van Dijk’s athletic cutback.
Xherdan Shaqiri made positive of the win for Liverpool with a medical counter-attack objective moments after Alisson had saved beautifully from Ben Mee.
Liverpool are two factors behind Pep Guardiola’s aspect after 15 video games and have made the very best begin to a season within the membership’s 126-year historical past.
They are going to go high of the desk and put stress on Metropolis on Saturday in the event that they win at Bournemouth (12:30 GMT), with the leaders dealing with a tough sport at Chelsea at 17:30.
Reds dig deep to maintain stress on Man Metropolis
For the primary time since Might 2017, Klopp began a league match with out star forwards Firmino, Mohamed Salah or Sadio Mane.
This was Liverpool’s 21st aggressive sport of the marketing campaign and, with a lunchtime kick-off at Bournemouth on Saturday adopted by a must-win Champions League sport towards Napoli on Tuesday, the Liverpool boss made wholesale adjustments.
For lengthy intervals it appeared just like the German’s determination may backfire.
The much-changed Reds have been subdued in a primary half through which they misplaced defender Joe Gomez – one of many 4 survivors from Sunday’s line-up – to an ankle harm following a problem with Mee.
However Clarets keeper Joe Hart nonetheless needed to save nicely from Daniel Sturridge and Naby Keita when the sport was goalless and the guests’ night acquired worse after they conceded within the high flight for the primary time since Three November.
However quickly after Milner cancelled out Cork’s objective, main scorer Salah and Firmino have been launched and Liverpool lastly took management.
Firmino was in the appropriate place to slip in solely his second top-flight objective in three months after a terrific help from Van Dijk whereas Phil Bardsley cleared one other effort by Keita off the road within the closing levels.
In a frantic end, Alisson stretched to maintain out Mee’s header earlier than Shaqiri completed emphatically after a superb breakaway involving Sturridge and Salah.
Clarets want factors – not hard-luck tales
Burnley performed with vitality and function for lengthy spells but stay one level from security in 19th spot after a 10th top-flight defeat.
This was a much-improved efficiency in comparison with the 2-Zero defeat to Crystal Palace of their earlier sport.
With the sport goalless, Chris Wooden had a shot deflected simply vast whereas Bardsley went even nearer to his first objective for the membership with a candy strike.
Ashley Barnes had a objective dominated out for offside earlier than Cork had the house followers dreaming of a primary Premier League win since 30 September after Liverpool didn’t clear a nook.
However Liverpool’s high quality substitutes proved the distinction as Burnley conceded their 31st and 32nd top-flight targets of the season.
Having taken two factors from the final 24 on provide, Burnley want to start out turning hard-working performances into factors shortly – or face a troublesome winter within the backside three.
Man of the match – Naby Keita (Liverpool)
‘We made life tough for ourselves’ – the managers
Liverpool supervisor Jurgen Klopp: “Burnley had this particular plan, they wished to be actually aggressive.
“I used to be actually comfortable we may go into half-time and regulate a number of issues. We made life tough for ourselves.
“We managed the sport in numerous moments. The second half was the proper response and I am actually comfortable in regards to the three factors.”
Burnley supervisor Sean Dyche: “The minimal we wished was a efficiency and that was rather more like us.
“The vital factor now could be we have now to maintain delivering that stage of efficiency as a result of if we will we are nonetheless a drive within the Premier League.
“The gang have been completely incredible and they’re proper with us. All of it begins with tonight’s efficiency now and that must be near the benchmark and we have now to construct on that.”
Liverpool equal top-flight English league document – the stats
- Liverpool have conceded six targets of their 15 Premier League video games this season – equalling the top-flight English league document at this stage of a season alongside Man Utd in 1985-86, Arsenal in 1990-91, Chelsea in 2004-05 and Chelsea in 2008-09.
- Burnley have taken 9 factors from their opening 15 video games this season. Simply three of the earlier 18 groups to have gained 9 factors or fewer from their first 15 video games of a Premier League season have averted relegation: Sunderland in 2013-14, Wigan in 2007-08 and Coventry in 1995-96.
- Alisson has remained unbeaten in his opening 15 league matches as a Liverpool participant, equalling the membership document within the Premier League set by Javier Mascherano in November 2007.
- This was the primary Premier League sport that none of Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino or Sadio Mane have been in Liverpool’s beginning XI since Might 2017 towards West Ham United.
- Roberto Firmino scored together with his first contact of the ball, two minutes and 55 seconds after approaching instead.
- This was the 50th sport Liverpool’s James Milner has scored in throughout his Premier League profession and he has not ended on the dropping aspect in any of these matches.
- This was the 10th aggressive sport Jack Cork has scored in for Burnley and the primary time he has misplaced when doing so.
Burnley are again at Turf Moor on Saturday for the go to of Brighton (15:00 GMT), whereas Liverpool are in motion earlier within the day away at Bournemouth (12:30)